Thursday, January 2, 2014

Introducing Hayden Jeffrey!

I'm a proud big sister and am super excited to introduce my baby brother.....Hayden Jeffrey Harbin.
I'll have to learn to share this blog with him and we will begin taking turns reporting. I'll let him tell you about his grand entrance into this world.....

Mama was supposed to be induced on December 31, 2013 at 7:30 in the morning. I know that everyone was anxious to meet me but I was pretty snug in that belly. However, when the decision was made to induce, I decided to come on my own terms. Mama woke up at 3:00 in the morning to use the bathroom and I decided to get the labor thing going. She had some signs of labor coming and then the contractions began. She called the hospital around 4 a.m. and since she was scheduled to come in anyway, they told her to just come in. Mama woke up big sister, Ayla, and dropped her off at BeBe and Pappy's house and then we were off to Novant Health Medical Center in Huntersville (the same hospital where Ayla was born just a new name).

Everything was already packed in the car so we were good to go. We arrived around 4:30 and were admitted into room 310 (right next door to 311 where Ayla was born). Mama and Daddy got settled in and Dr. Clark and Nurse Janet came to check on Mama. She was 4 cm. dilated and looking good. Mama decided that she would get the epidural whenever she could because sometimes the process takes a while. She had to get one bag of fluids in an IV before she could get one.

At 7:00 a.m. it was shift change so Mama's new nurse was Brandi and Dr. Miles began his shift. Mama was also ready to get her epidural around that time. She can't remember the doctor's name but he was a jokester and said Daddy needed to get one too. Hee Hee! At some point (Mama can't remember exactly when) the doctor came in and broke Mama's water (unlike with my sister, Ayla, where Mama's water broke on it's own). My philosophy with this whole labor thing was "Slow and steady wins the race." Mama was progressing nicely but not as quick as with Ayla. Everyone thought I would be born that morning or at least by noon but I was still okay in there.

Around 2:30 the doctor came in and checked Mama....9 1/2 cm. Even though she wasn't at 10 cm. Dr. Miles decided that my time was up! He had Mama push once and said, "We're going to have a baby!" Everyone was called into the room and it was time for me to come out....ready or not. Apparently my heart rate was dropping and the sooner I was out, the better. They put an oxygen mask on Mama and she pushed for about 20 minutes and I really was right there...the doctor could see hair. However, he wanted me out so he got this yellow looking vacuum thing, put in on  my head, had mama push.....and whoosh....I entered the world at 2:56 p.m.! Apparently I had the umbilical cord wrapped around my whole body which was causing some stress and my heart rate to drop. The doctor "unraveled" it and Daddy was still able to cut the cord.

The doctor put me on Mama's chest right away so that she could see me and then they took me for all of the normal routine stuff. I was doing okay with everything except for my breathing. I had 100% oxygen but I was kind of grunting and making noises when I was trying to breathe. The doctor's and nurses explained to Mama that I was trying to transition and open up the air pockets in my lungs. There was talk about me going to the NICU for a while but they decided to try some skin to skin contact with Mama first. She held me for over and hour and I began to breathe better. She had a little chit chat with me because she didn't want me in the NICU even for an hour, so I listened and got my breathing under control. :-)

My stats:
Born at 2:56 p.m.
8 lbs. 12 oz.
21 inches.

Everyone is super excited that I am here and Mama and Daddy say it's the best New Year's Eve that they have ever had! Here are pictures from the first day....
My very first picture.

My stats.


First picture with Mama.

Enjoying some skin to skin time with Mama.

First picture with Daddy.

Nurse Brandi gave me a bath.

Here comes big sister, Ayla

Daddy and his TWO kids!
Meeting BeBe

I got my big sister a present to open at the hospital.
A CD with Mickey Mouse on it and Disney songs because
she really likes music.

Meeting Pappy


Poor Ayla didn't know what to think of it all.

Mama couldn't get out of bed yet because her right leg
was still numb because of the epidural. Ayla didn't like it and
they didn't stay that long. That's okay, Ayla, the
hospital is a busy and crazy place! :-)

The Mehall's stopped by for a visit later on.
This is Dr. Miles who delivered me. With the super fast
"vacuum entrance" and skin to skin contact we didn't get
a picture right away. This was later on in the evening when
he came back in to check on us.
Phew! What an eventful day. Everyone was so happy that I finally came and I'm excited to be here. Stay tuned for more hospital blogs from me and of course more reports from Ayla as well. Thanks for all of the phone calls, text, and well wishes from everyone!

Love,
Hayden

No comments:

Post a Comment